Translate

Search This Blog

2013/04/06

National Ballet of Canada's YOU Dance

Yesterday I got to go to YOU Dance by the Apprentices of the National Ballet of Canada. It was at the Betty Oliphant Theatre. It was the first time since my Mom's surgery that we went out. I'm glad we were able to go.

We got to see the dancers do some stretches and warm up a little before the performance. We got to hear the pianist - Zhenya Yesmanovich warm up as well. I really liked listening to her play scales and songs before the presentation started.

When it started the dancers introduced themselves and Lisa Robinson helped us to understand more about the dances. We listened to music and tried to figure out how it made us feel. (I noticed the keys that the music was written in.) She also told us how different movements have different meanings.

The movements, the dancers' faces, costumes, sets, the lighting and the music all help to set the moods for the dances.

The dancers were very talented. Everyone was graceful and the men were very strong and able to leap very high. My favourite dances were the Funeral March for a Marionette and the Wedding Pas De Deux from Sleeping Beauty.

I liked the music for "Vertigo" the most. It was written by Einojuhani Rautavaara. It was very dramatic and it seemed like it would be very hard to play. It takes about 4 months for the pianist to learn a piece like that! And she's very skilled!

I got to meet Zhenya Yesmanovich at the end of the YOU Dance performance.
Mom took a picture of us.


After the performance I found out that one of the Principal Dancers for the National Ballet of Canada - Guillaume Côté plays the piano and the cello and even composes music. I think that's so cool!

Here is a link to more info about YOU Dance
http://national.ballet.ca/YouDance/artists.php

1 comment:

  1. This is a very useful post, thank you! I agree that innovations are the most important thing for most businesses because with today’s fast-changing world we need to stay on top of the changes if we want to survive.



    Ballet online course | Ballet fitness Course

    ReplyDelete